Monday, October 29, 2007

CMJ 2007 Re:caps

Its been over a week since CMJ started, and I don't think my liver has finished cleaning out all crap that I drank...anyway I'm going to slowly but surely recount the shows I went to last week...so close your eyes and let me whisk you back through space & and time to...


*Note: My camera broke sometime between the summer and fall so no pictures

Tuesday 16-October-2007

-6:30pm @ Hi-Fi - IODA CMJ Launch Party
This was one of those I have to work (in Chelsea) days, so I wasn't able to catch any of the day shows or parties until I arrived upon Hi-Fi for IODA and Spectre Launch Party. I got there late and had to wait in line like all the other smucks...I didn't run into anyone from IODA or Spectre then, but I did meet some cool guys from Tee Pee Records and ended up going down to the Annex with them before I headed over to the Damn! Showcase at Cake Shop.

-8:00pm @ Annex - Sam Champion
I've never been inside the Annex this early, nor have I ever been inside when it was that empty...maybe 20 people, no more than 30 tops. I set about having a couple of beers and just talking to my new companions about their plans for the evening and the week. I wasn't even sure that I would be able to catch any of the acts at Annex before I left to head around the corner, but low and behold Sam Champion took the stage. It was pleasant, being able to hear a band like Sam Champion and not be elbow to elbow with hundreds of people. They sounded great, and as far as it goes...I couldn't of asked for a better band/performance to kick off my CMJ.

-9:00pm @ Cake Shop - Malkovich
The night was still very young and I had made a promise to stop by and check out the DAMN! Showcase and/or the Dutch showcase @ Cake Shop. First up on the bill was Netherlands' Malkovich. This hardcore band didn't wow me in anyway, but from the back of a crowded room everything sounded muffled and I couldn't wittness the "perfomance" end of their show. I did however realize that there is a huge Dutch population in New York City.

-9:30pm @ Pianos - Jukebox the Ghost
I wanted to stop by Pianos to check out Nashville's Natalie Prass, but when I got there they were running behind and D.C.'s Jukebox the Ghost were head strong into half of their set
I was trying to avoid seeing the same bands repeatedly during the week to maximize the number of new bands I would check out...but they're great guys and they have a great live show...So I got to hang out with some friends and listen to JBTG for a half hour.

-10:00pm @ Cake Shop - Adept
I returned to Cake Shop to check out The Netherland's Adept. I enjoyed their faux electronic sound, but found the crowd to be a little to 'eh' (friends aside) to hang there for their entire set, so I set out to just talk with friends and co-workers upstairs and outside while I waited for the next band I wanted to see to go on.

-11:00pm @ Pianos - The Octagon
Of all the bands I wanted to see Tuesday, The Octagon were the ones I had been most excited about...I had recently got a copy of their new album "Nothing But Change" and was definitely digging on their classic/indie rock sound. Their set was far from disappointing. Refreshed from the drone I had just walked away from...The Octagon had just enough to make me want to continue my day.

-12:00am @ Orchard Bar - 'Sup' Magazine release Party
Okay so I never even heard of 'Sup' Magazine before CMJ, and because of their free booze tactics, I forgot their magazine...I'm sure it's good...whatever its about

-1:00am @ APT - Miami takes over CMJ DJ Party
My last stop of the night should of been the iMeem Party, but I was coarced into going to some party at APT...It was pretty lame. The DJs were pretty much done, and I met the craziest girl ever...she came up and said things about nipples and blow and stalkers...weird...then she convinced a drunk me to let her use my phone to call her friends...and yes she called me the next day...CRAZY

0 comments: