Monday, August 11, 2008

MGMT / Black Moth Super Rainbow / The Ting Tings @ McCarren Pool


With something like 90% chance of thunder storms and an ominously black sky the Sunday of MGMT's pool party seemed like its was going to be a total wash. Even with all the negative energy swirling around, that didn't stop what seemed to be the entire NYC 'hipster' community from showing up and standing patiently in a line that was being rumored to run all the way down to the water front. I showed up early and still waited almost a hour to get inside. As I stood in line I kept getting reports that the sky was beginning to open up and many a friend canceled their plans to stand in line in the rain.

Upon entering the pool I gazed around at the not so packed (yet) grounds. London's The Ting Tings were already on stage getting ready to go on.





As the first act of the day you don't really get as excited as you would for the other bands. As the only band I hadn't seen yet and add to that the praise and exposure that they were receiving over the past few months (go ahead call me neglectful for not getting on the bandwagon sooner), I was very excited...at least intrigued to see The Ting Tings play.


Exhilarating is the only way I can think to describe the band. Everything about them, the sound, their stage presence etc. Felt completely organic. When a band truly appears to enjoy the music and the performance they're putting on its almost as big a selling point as a band putting on the show of the year. The Ting Tings' show was all that and more.






Black Moth Super Rainbow, up next, is one of those bands that I enjoy on record but the last time I saw them I can't say that I was that entranced by them. This time was slightly different. They seemed to be more in sync with each other and added a little more showmanship to the show. I still say that I'd prefer to listen to them in my dimly lit parlor but I'll concede to them living up to the day.





Oh how does it come to this. I too was blindsided by MGMT's rise to fame...it seems that just the other day, The Management, were the blog band du jour. Now they're causing mass hysterics and lines that could put a *insert classic rock band name here* reunion to shame. And all the hype is not with out warrant. Oracular Spectacular, is a jolly ball of good times, and when you think you're tired of that check out some remixes they did of other artists or viceversa and you're back at it finding nuances in the music and choice of styles all over again.






Live the band embraces the free love jam flows while sticking to the straight forward style of indie rock that has got them where they are. They're tight they're entertaining... ... ...What can you say about them that hasn't already been said? Goldwasser and VanWyngarden have created a big sloppy mess and everyone will trail along behind and try and pick up the left overs.

0 comments: