Friday, April 6, 2007

Could I get some more Ukulele up front, please?

Patrick Wolf @ Hiro Ballroom April 5, 2007

So when I got in from work around 8:00pm, I was ready to sit down and relax for at least an hour before I had to head out and meet with friends to go see Patrick Wolf. I miscalculated and was home long enough to make a quick dinner before making the trek back to Manhattan. In my rush I left my camera by the door, and when I realized it, I was already more then half way to my destination to turn back. (You can check out some pictures taken by The Music Slut, a much better/more informative blog)

My first stop was at a local dive on 8th St. Grassroots has become my Thursday night warm up with its cheap Pitchers, good music and a semi lively mix of college/worker co-habitants. All of this was just setting the stage for the big show. Patrick Wolf was set to go on around midnight, and with DJ sets by Ultragrrrl and Does It Offend You, Yeah?, I was pretty much overwhelmed…Until I arrived at the line, not the door. Its April, its spring, and yet it was windy and pretty close to freezing last night. The line crawled towards the door, and as time ticked by, I started think that I would miss something…

When we entered, I guess Sarah was just wrapping up her set, as I only heard the familiar catalogue for brief indistinct period of time from upstairs. Shortly after the music died, we all moved down to get a glimpse of the headliner, who by the end of the night would make 3 wardrobe changes in less then an hour. I haven’t been a “follower” of Mr. Wolf until about a year ago, but he hasn’t toured in the US for 4 years, so I didn’t miss much visually. Opening with a song from his new album The Magic Position, the set was pretty evenly dispersed. It was quite the enjoyable experience. I suggest making it out to his last 2 shows in NYC this weekend if you can.

- 04/06 @ Studio B, Fun Party, NYC

- 04/07 @ Don Hill's Misshapes, NYC

So everyone danced, everyone drank, and it was quite the lovely time.

Then I was informed that Does It Offend You, was going to DJ next, and I was looking forward to the set, but when the music came back on I just wasn’t feeling it. I’m just going to tell myself that It wasn’t them, and I left knowing when I did see them it would be as good as I didn’t remember this time…the rest of the night consisted of drinking 40oz Colt 45, and listening to Mike Jones. Not to shabby

0 comments: