Monday, August 13, 2007

Hot Rocks Party 10 August 2007

P1010014
(introducing....)

Last night was another stellar night at The Delancey, where the Hot Rocks gang threw another successful party. I arrived to hear North Carolina's Maple Stave tearing it up. I was shocked and surprised as I rushed downstairs. Not surprised at the band sounding great, well that's always a "surprise" when you don't know anything about the band playing. Aside from the early start everything else about the Stave's set was amazing. They basically just churned rhythmically intense punk meets Broken Social Scene instrumental music from my arrival til the end of there set. I snagged a copy of one of their EPs, and I wish I could of gotten the other one, I have EP Two, because just 5 songs aren't enough of these guys.

P1010007
(Maple Stave)


Next up were Brooklyn's Career Club. This power pop trio had the best stage banter of the night, between themselves and the crowd. And the music...ah the music....Oh so sweet. An animated burst into the night. The set was short and sweet, but I was able to snag their new record, The New Record, from bassist Jens. It truly is a little pristine pop album, and I recommend seeing them and then buying The New Record

P1010008
(Career Club)


The Creaky Boards once again crooned their way into the crowds heart. The definitely have the sounds that fits the Hot Rocks feel. Singer Andrew Hoepfner, reminds me of a cross between Dean Martin and an early Talking Heads era David Byrne. The Boards are sort of a potluck band. Last time I saw them they had an accordion and a small horn section, this time they went with the basic rock band format. Regardless of who was their, or what instruments were being played, the soul of Creaky Boards lies in the songs themselves.


P1010018
(Creaky Boards)


The night ended with locals The Affair. I was surprised that I had never heard of them before the show, especially with such an energetic live show, fronted by enthusiastic singer Kali Holloway. The entire band has the stored energy of an unwatched three year old, but the only complaint was from Kali when she realized her microphone would only reach so far off the stage. The Affair blew me away, finishing the night out as strong as when they started playing.

P1010024
(The Affair)





More photos @ my Flickr

0 comments: