Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Joan as Police Woman @ Bowery Ballroom (7 August 2007)



I've been sitting on Joan Wasser's Debut LP, Real Life, for almost 5 months now. I need to give it a listen...I quite liked her self-titled EP, Joan as Police Woman, but its hard to find enough time in the day to appropriately enjoy certain things. The lack of me being up to date on Joan's latest release did not stop me from checking out her, full band, show tonight at Bowery.

The nights performance started off slower then I would of liked. Some technical problems broke up all the spontaneity produced by Joan's witty banter. It wasn't until her band left the stage mid-set and Joan went solo that everything fell into place. Joan displayed a quiet mastery over her purple piano, perched atop a New York City phone book as her slightlynasally voice brought onlookers up and down from song to song. She had already won over the audience when the rest of the band rejoined her on stage to finish out the set. With a renewed energy, Joan as Police Woman closed out the night on a strong note. The crowd was treated to a 2 song encore as well, which was really just the icing on the cake.

0 comments: