Sunday, June 24, 2007

Chairlift & Mixel Pixel @ Luna Lounge 20-June-2007

On Wednesday night I attended the Chairlift and Mixel Pixel show at The recently opened Luna Lounge in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I had yet to see a show there and I was over whelmed by the size of the venue. 50+ people barely took up the a 8th of the entire space. Needless to say I still love both Mixel Pixel and Chairlift. I don’t know what it was…The empty space, poor sound, or just a bad night for everyone, but Everything sounded empty and distant. Not the usual show these guys put on…Mixel Minus one member were as energetic as ever, singing and dancing to their drum machine and throwing out little gifts to the crowd. While Chairlift reminded me of an old folk group singing love songs to each other more then to the crowd. It made you feel warm inside, but still a little left out from the inner circle.


Hello Tokyo @ Arlene’s Grocery 21-June-2007

Thursday night brought me to Arlene’s Grocery to see Hello Tokyo. I recently played a show with Pawns (who share members with Hello Tokyo) and was eager to see the guys {and girl} again…

Hello’s hard-hitting power pop is driven by its 4 members (individually as well as together). The first thing I noticed was how well every instrument intermingled with one another…the bass playing off the drums the vocals harmonizing with the guitar and everyone going every which way while never straying far from the core of the song. They have a great stage presence and sound. I can’t wait to see them again…maybe I’ll take pictures…


0 comments: