Thursday, June 7, 2007

Yesterday was suppose to be my girl’s night…I had planned to start the night of with The pipettes’ in store appearance @ Other Music at 7:00pm, but left my wallet on my dresser. So I had to walk back and grab it and by the time I got there it was packed. So I missed out on the synchronized dance moves and black poke-a-dot dresses. But it turns out that the ladies were busy as well. Making an appearance at the CMJ office before their in store and then headed to Highline Ballroom. Phew! Busy night like I said. So woo is me, I missed them…but that wasn’t the end for me…no no no no. Next stop on my journey and what would turn out to be my last as far as shows was Piano’s. It was at Liberated Matter’s weekly showcase, Cross-Pollination where I caught folk singer, Jan Bell . I quite enjoyed the set, with her lo-fi sound, and strong yet clever voice with my front row seat I could just listen and take pleasure in the music and in life . I would of stayed for Lonesome Heroes, and possibly the Cross-Pollination, but I ran into a couple friends and decided to catch up. I did convince one of my cohorts to attend the final show in my night ‘o wonder. Lay Low, an Icelandic blues/folk singer opened up for the night’s downstairs lineup. It was once again first-rate music, which isn’t that hard to come by in this city. She reminded me of a folk Bjork meets a blues Mirah which when I thought about it made me very happy. I ended the night sitting in the local 138 meeting new people and catching up with some old ones. It was one of those nights that you want to remember, but will probably get lost in the shuffle of shows and drinking anyone can enjoy any night of the week here.

Here’s to a superb night and a song that helps remember the night I stood in the back with my eyes closed and just enjoyed the moment.


Lay Low - Please Don't Hate Me

0 comments: