Friday, June 15, 2007

No, that is not funny sir…



Monday evening I received a text stating that David Cross was appearing at Mo Pitkins. No one could confirm this fact, although a few people that saw him Sunday at Union Hall said he was going to be @ Mo Pitkins the following night (Monday). So I left work and hurried in the rain to 3rd & A and entered a rather crowded bar. There was no flyer, no one in the bar was saying anything. So I waited patiently for the comedy show “youtube Show and Tell”, hosted by JULIE & JACKIE, with Rachael. The show scheduled to start at 8:30pm was almost 40 minutes behind due to a poetry reading. When we finally made it up stairs handed over our $6/person and sat down, did we see Mr. Cross. The show started, and my gawd that wasn’t funny. The funniest joke was the duo’s first one “You just paid six dollars to do something that you could do at home for free.” Oh, the joke was on us. I was forced to sit through 2 hours of some of the most non-humorous youtube I’ve ever seen. As the night ended and other people around me chuckled and gasped at a slideshow of an Asian couples wedding (funny? not in the delivery), I began to wonder if my hero would actually be taking the stage. Finally his name came up and I was happy. To my surprise and heartbreak, even the great David Cross couldn’t save this show. His video’s were meant to portray the every day youtube, and he picked this video blog by aember25. 1 (A thank you to her subscribers), 2 (A response from one of her 832 suscribers), 3 (A video post about rape not being funny…come on we all know that)…So that was Monday.

Tuesday was exciting, because I got to go see an amazing band from Nashville. Death Comesto Matteson (pronounced Death Comes To Matteson). The show was great despite severe technical difficulties with their bass rig. Singer Peter Matteson incredible vocals kept the crowd in awe, and the times when the full band came in behind Matteson it made your heart pound with the music…I picked up their first full length, Ship of Fools or Ship on Fire, and will be doing a proper review once I have enough time to listen to it from start to finish. For now…Go here and buy their stuff

0 comments: