Tuesday, June 26, 2007








Death Comesto Matteson – Ship of Fools, Ship on Fire

(Speak Music Media / 2007)




A few weeks ago, a friend of mine asked me to attend a show @ Mercury Lounge…The band he manages, Death Comesto Matteson from Nashville,TN were finishing up their tour, and he said their last show would be a good one. The show had its technical difficulties, but I still found myself owning a copy of their full length debut, Ship of Fools, Ship on Fire.

The album released on Speak Music Media in 2007 sounds like a polished version of their live show. Lead vocalist Peter Matteson vocals intertwine with cymbal feedback, while lead guitarist, Steven Bohn, and Bassist, Joseph Ash, keep counter melodies and rhythms bouncing of each other.

Ship of Fools sings of lost lovers and a journey to the center of one’s self. Matteson dark brand of pop music is reminiscent of the Afghan Whigs and Explosions in the sky, or Palace Music with an edge that cuts deeps.

I definitely recommend the purchase of Ship of Fools, Ship on Fire. I would also tell you all to see them live, but I recently found out that Death Comesto Matteson in the form I witnessed has gone their separate ways…leaving drummer, Mike Walker, and Peter to carry on where Ships left off.





0 comments: