Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Swimming by French Kicks

The image “http://www.girlieaction.com/frenchkicks/HiRescoverartMYRIAD.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


Swimming the newest release from New York mainstay act French Kicks is their second release for California's Vagrant Records. Unlike previous albums, Swimming is a much more down tempo album. Moving away from the upbeat catch stuff that made their live shows and records such a hit with independent music supporters. When I first listened to Swimming I have to admit that I was severely disappointed. As with many records where bands make obvious leaps across genre gaps and songwriting chasms. I figured I must have missed something, just one song, a bridge or some chordprogression that showed some semblance of my old beloved French Kicks. Sadly I can't say I've founded yet...

While the songs do "sound" like the French Kicks the production is much cleaner than any of their older stuff. This is not to say that the album isn't good. Sure some of the die hard fans will probably disown them, but for rainy day fans like myself and the new crop of fans that are sure to pick up this record just because...Swimming has its points. Actually every track is good. Singularly and as a whole. No seriously, after the initial shock...the album is completely solid. Yes you can argue that this album sound nothing like their last album, but then the band state that Swimming is the sound they've been trying to achieve for so long. And with singles like "Abandon" leading off the record...its a good sound to want to be achieving. I still think that their live shows will have the energy that made them a house hold name, but it will be interesting to see how the seemingly softer songs of Swimming will translate. You'll be able to find out yourself as the French Kicks, are out on tour now supporting the release. (Dates available on their Myspace.)


French Kicks - Abandon (MP3)



0 comments: