Monday, April 21, 2008

Kria Bekkan & Hex Message @ The New Museum 17 April 2008

Last Thursday was the premiere of the New Museum's Get Weird showcase. Which highlights the sometimes over looked "experimental" acts from across the universe. The shows lineup originally consisted of Fakey the (White Williams, Deerhunter, Ecstatic Sunshine ) super group and Hex Message. Unfortunately as the doors were opening we were all informed that Fakey was a last minute cancellation. But to my delight they had been replaced by Icelandic songstress Kria Brekkan.

I had never seen Kria perform live before but I have become a fan of her work over the past few years. Kristin's set was very serene and fluid. Never overwhelming the crowd with peaks of static and feedback. She worked quickly with a variety of instruments and odds & ends, and spoke softly to a small child on the floor stage left in between songs. The dim light room seemed to suit the mellow rushKria's music and posturing very well as she let the playback fade out as she said good night.


Next up was Hex Message. Another band I had yet to see live. I don't know if it was a sound issue or the migraine building in the back of my head, but they just didn't connect for me. Theirindividual instruments kept getting lost in swells upon swells of pain and sonance in me ears. I would like to give them a second chance though because this time, honestly, wasn't a fair one and I did enjoy what I heard.

The first installment of The New Museum's Get Weird 'exhibit' was definitely an experience. I look forward to the next one...which should be every third Thusrday of each month.




Below is a video I shot of Kristin performing at The New Museum. The lights were dim so it was hard to see.










0 comments: