Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mike Edison I Have Fun Everywhere I Go





Back when I was younger I had this thing call 'Summer Reading'. I never followed it properly and only read about half the books I was supposed to based on titles and cover art. As a young adult I started reading more on my own especially during the summer when it was one of the only legal ways to tourist at a beach community. Now here I am unemployed, and I find myself reading more magazines and websites, than good old fashion books. **That's why I have to alert everyone I know or who will cares to listen when I finish a new book. That's why when I finished Mike Edison's new novel, I Have Fun Everywhere I Go

Mike Edison is probably one of the most well known, unknowns of the New York City scene. You may not realize it at first, but when names like GG Allin, Regan Youth, High Times and John Spencer's Blues Explosion come up in the text you almost immediately start drawing the lines of recognition in your mind.

The book itself isn't life changing, even though the philosophy Mr. Edison has adopted would probably do some of you squares some good to follow...Its just an autobiography. Sure there's much more to it than that, and if you want to know what 'it' is go out an buy the book.


I was actually more interested in how the book was being marketed. The physical book appears to be a lumbering 300+ page behemoth, but its a light read finished in a week or so on train rides to and fro. Mike Edison is a good writer, history won't remember most of his work but he never makes himself out to be a world famous stereotype. He just did it his way and that worked for him. And like I said I was interest in other things other than just the text. For one the gorilla that appeared at the bar at the onset of my Mike Edison Journey (pictured below).


The next thing and the real important one, or the one that intrigued me the most was the idea to put some excerpts of the book, read by Edison, onto a CD. Yes a book on tape. Well lets see...I guess you could technically call it an audio book, but it was only excerpts...a few paragraphs from the book hear and there. If you listened to just the cd, you probably have no idea what's going on and you probably even more confused by the electro-space blues backing music that is Mike Edison's Rocket Train and friends. I posted a lo-fi video of the final performance of the book tour at Pete's Candy Store.



Its a great idea, and beats the hell out of the usual sit down Q&A goes along with your standard book reading. Mike even had time to answer a few inquiries before he took the stage for the performance.

(some more pictures below)















0 comments: