Sunday, July 13, 2008

Murakami



Japanese Artist Takashi Murakami was the featured exhibit at Brooklyn Museum for the past few months (it ends today so I suggest you try to go see it). I myself made it there twice and I was glad that I did. I don't know why for some reason the art on the walls and the floors and the ceilings swallowed me up this last time, instead of me mentally eating up the art. The show was and will probably be one of the best pop art displays I've ever come to see. Mr. Murakami, know for his Poku style which mixes pop art with the Japanese Otaku style/obessesion.

Walking through the gallery I felt myself traveling through the art as it developed. It something you should do when you go see an exhibit of an artist that you appreciate, but I usually don't. My first time through may have been rushed since I showed up right as the last tickets were being sold, but redardles of all that I definitely learned a great deal about Murakami, his styles everything is right there to see on large canvas sheets. There is no hiding in these portraits it's as is.


One of the things I did miss out on was the videos that Murakami created/directed that were being shown in a small theatre in the museum. Most notably was his video for Kanye West's Good Morning. For this reason or that it was shelved, but it was cool to see it anyway. The video below is a bootleg so I apologize for the poor quality.


Good Morning (Official video; Murakami animation) - Kanye West


I don't think I can stress enough everyone's need to see the exhibit @ The Brooklyn Museum. Unfortunately its over today at 6pm.



0 comments: